Although people are becoming more and more educated about our large impact on Earth and have begun to take responsibility for how we treat it, there is still quite a bit we need to do, perhaps most importantly in relation to our attitudes towards food.. Whether it is the millions of pounds of crops and food products that never see store shelves or the cumulative waste we throw away in our own homes every year in the US, we are incredibly irresponsible and disrespectful to food and its place in our lives.
I want to educate people about how their own personal choices impact the world around them. People should know the ways they directly affect the earth and others and ultimately know what choices they can make to improve life for everyone. There are many issues to be aware of and it is important that more people become at least somewhat aware of how important they are.
25% of food waste occurs at the pre-harvesting level and 12% during harvesting on farms. 40% of food waste is at the retail and consumer level. And finally, only about 3% of food waste is recycled. Of course, these numbers are broad and intimidating and it might difficult to see how any one individual can create change. But each person can make a difference and it is our responsibility to do so. Here are some tips for cutting back on food waste:
1. When shopping, only buy what you need:
- Avoid buying perishable items in bulk.
- Use a list to avoid over purchasing.
2. Know your fridge:
- Keep an inventory of what you have and how long you’ll have it.
- Keep old products in the front and new ones in the back.
3. Use everything you buy:
- Use the whole of vegetables or meats.
- Repurpose leftovers for new meals.
- Be responsible with your food.
4. Donate what you will not use:
- Find a local food pantry or kitchen th
- at will allow you to donate.
- Keep an inventory of surplus items.
5. Be conscious:
- Know the dates your food will go bad and plan accordingly.
- Be aware of the impact your waste causes.
Try out composting.Ultimately, we all make an impact that we must take into account in our daily lives. It is difficult to keep this in mind but there are simple things we can do every day to be responsible for the world we all inhabit.